Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Amazing Race: Paul and Jill Style!

Well, once again, it's been a very busy week in the Weaver household. I hate to use the word "household" because it could mean one of several places: Budapest, Toalmas, or even on the road (we spend so much time driving now a days). In fact, in the past three days, Paul and I have set foot in four different countries! We have been to Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Austria all within the past 72 hours!
Because we are currently in a short break from language school, and because we will have next to no time once the Bible School year starts, we decided to take advantage of our independence and see the world! (or at least a couple of neighboring countries :) Our first stop, Bratislava, Slovakia, wasn't all that exciting. Slovakia, formally a part of Czechoslovakia, has only been independent from Czech since 1993. Apart from a palace and one castle, there was not much to see there. In fact, we weren't even allowed inside the castle or palace. We took a few nice pictures from the outside and jumped in the car towards Prague.

Prague is a BEAUTIFUL city! I absolutely loved it! I could totally see myself perusing through the city streets, dining on gourmet meals, and taking yacht trips down the Danube. Of course, this is my worldly, "in your dreams" self that only lasts for a few short seconds until I realize we're living in the real world. BUT... if I ever make it big on American Idol or something, I think I will live in Prague next to the Palace District which is over 6 Km large!
Paul and I thoroughly enjoyed our time in the city. We stayed in a really nice hostel that I was able to find online for half its original price. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be. We had our own room which was pretty nice and even our own bathroom down the hall, because the rest of the rooms were vacant. The hostel even had free breakfast, consisting of authentic Czech salami, cheese, bread, and coffee! Wowzer!
By the way, (this is definitely a rabbit trail) did you know that all McDonald's in every country have a "Dollar Menu" ? Expect, it's not really a Dollar Menu because the American dollar is so weak. For example, in Vienna they had the 1 Euro Menu, but the Euro is equal to $1.57 American dollars! In Prague, there is the 17 Crowns menu, which 15 crowns is equal to $1. I just wanted to tell everyone this so their eyes are opened to the conspiracy which is McD's. What a rip off! (did I mention that they charge like 75 cents for ketchup?)
During our day in Prague, we took a tour of the Palace District, which consisted of the oldest Gothic-style church in Europe, several monuments, and of course, the castle. We were even able to spend time in the gorgeous castle garden, which I totally loved! Later in the day, we rode the "Funicular" up to the highest point in the city. The Funicular is similar to a ski lift, going up a hill, but it looks more like a trolley, and is definitely safer. The view was beautiful! Probably the coolest site in Prague is the Charles Bridge. It was the famous bridge that Tom Cruise jumped off of in Mission Impossible (at least that's what Paul tells me). It's huge and very grand, but unfortunately, I can't tell you any history about it. I was too excited about all the shopping located around it! You'd be proud though, I left Prague with just a few postcards!
One of the most exciting sites for me was the Barbie Exhibit at the Toy Museum! For those of you who don't know, I spent most of my teenage years collecting Barbie Dolls and studying collector's magazines. I was pretty much a Barbie-loving nerd and had no shame! Ever Christmas and birthday, my only request was Barbie. I think I have somewhere along 80 doll still in their boxes. They are currently sitting in my old closet in my Mom's house. Poor Barbie felt pretty ignored once I entered my senior year of high school. Instead of buying collector's magazines and memorabilia, I switched to paying for clothes, make-up, and gas to get to school. Anyway, this exhibit was pretty thrilling for me! I enjoyed seeing the classic dolls up close and in person, or should I say in plastic? I actually owned many of the newer dolls on display. It made me want to get into collecting again, but I don't think I will. My collection will probably find itself on eBay on of these days when we are back on furlough :(
On the way home, we swung by Vienna, just a half hour out of the way. We saw a couple palaces from the outside and walked the historical streets. What a beautiful city! I highly recommend it! Before leaving, Paul and I enjoyed some sweets in this totally cute cafe that was all pink! It was definitely a memory.
We are currently safe and sound, back at home now, enjoying each other and our wonderful life in Hungary. Paul will be preaching in the village church this Sunday, so he will be busy the rest of the week working on his sermon. As for me, I have to get registered for classes this Fall online with Liberty. I think I will also try to plant some cool weather crops in the garden and just see if they will come up in a couple months. Maybe some spinach or lettuce? Or maybe I will plan another trip somewhere! I think tomorrow we should go to Paris!

No comments: