Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Becoming Hungarian

Hi Everybody!

Here is my very first post for my new blog site. Hope I am doing this right! I thought I would let you know what it is like to live as a Hungarian.

Living in Toalmas, Hungary is somewhat like taking a step back in time. Life is slower and more simple, but at the same time, it can be harder and more complicated!

Hungarian people live at a slower pace, especially in the village. A majority take time to have a garden, talk with neighbors, and cook a full meal for lunch. In a world where fast food, cell phones, and instant gratification seem to rule, village life is refreshing. However, adjusting to a new culture, language, and way of life has not been without its difficulties. I have learned to be the ultimate house wife, the old fashioned way. I now use the line for the wash, instead of a clothes dryer. Most of our meals are cooked from scratch, no cream of mushroom soup or instant pancake mix! Plus, the nearest Wal-Mart type store is thirty minutes away. We have no television, and our heater is run on a wood burner (although we have radiators too). Actually, even though some tasks can be difficult, I think old fashioned living is the way to go! I fully enjoy working with my hands, whether it be cleaning, cooking, or landscaping. It only gets frustrating when time constraints are an issue. Everyday living here just seems to take longer!

All things aside, I fully believe that God has given me a very blessed life. I know the Lord has brought Paul and I to Hungary with big plans in mind, and I am so excited to see them all unfold. At the end of the day, when I lay my head down on my pillow, and think of all the blessings God has given us, I can only be filled with thanksgiving for His provision and perfect will.

3 comments:

Oscar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aahayes said...

Ironic how living in Hungary is a "step back in time" yet you have now started a blog! :) I think this is an awesome way to keep in contact with supporters while letting them know what is going on in your ministry. I look forward to reading more about your Hungarian adventures and how God is working in your life. I know He has a lot awesome things in plan for you and Paul.

katalin said...

Hi

I am a friend of Karen's and Dave's and live Toronto (left Hungary as a child) and have stayed at the castle for a couple of nights in 2005 and 2007.

Love your blog and will be a regular reader. (I found it through "Karen's corner")

eva